A Custom Application Group can be defined in the Application Administrator for an environment and will show in Work Center for that environment. However, this is NOT included in a Snapshot and therefore does NOT get Promoted across Environments.
Serena provided Solutions however, contain their Application Group Information at the design level (in Composer) and therefore go to the Environments on deploy/promote.
This BLOG will guide you through defining your own Solution Definition and therefore creating an Application Group when Deployed or Promoted.
Warning: This includes a registry key change that opens up some hidden capabilities. Please be very careful and only use for the duration of defining the Solution information. Do NOT use this on any Serena Solutions.
To temporarily turn on the ability to add a Custom Solution to a Process App:
- Create the following String key in the Windows registry:
- Close and reopen Composer, if it was open.
Note: The options below become read-only if the registry key is disabled.
Create your own Business Solution - this will create an Application Group in WorkCenter to which you can add other Process Apps
Use the feature to create an application group for a set of process apps that make up a Custom Business Solution
To create an application group:
- In Composer, open one of the process apps that is included in the solution.
- Select the process app from the App Explorer.
- Select the Business Solutions tab in the properity editor.
- Click New to open the Business Solution editor.
- Provide a name, description, short name, image, and version. If you do not provide an image for example you will get errors on deploy (not that you do not get a validation error).
- Copy the provided ID. Please note, that if you cannot see the Business Solution when created, you may need to reopen Composer to see this.
- Open the other process apps that are part of the solution and create a new business solution. Paste the ID from the first process app and provide the remaining properties, which must be identical for each process app in the solution.
When the process apps are deployed/promoted, the application group is automatically created and available in Application Administrator and Serena Work Center.
Important: Remember to Disable the Registry Key after you have Completed